Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Annie Leibovitz's Spidey Sense

 

 Glenn Beck lovvvved it.

That is enough to keep me away from "Spider-Man: Turn off the Dark," the bruising Broadway musical. Does that make me one of the elitists Beck and his FOX News brethren despise? No doubt. Whatever. If I don't go, it's just one more seat available for the nice lady from Terre Haute.

The $65-million musical, directed by Julie Taymor with music by Bono and The Edge blah blah blah...is it going to be Broadway's biggest disaster? Will any more actors fall from the ceiling? I don't care, because I can't afford Broadway and I forswore and refudiated seeing any more Broadway musicals after sitting through the excruciating musical version of "The Addams Family" last year, which featured a desperate-looking Nathan Lane and miserable-looking Bebe Neuwirth. Glenn Beck probably laughed and cried through it.


Which brings me, unbelievably, to the February issue of Vogue, which features a big, expensive fashion story based on "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark". Shot by Annie Leibovitz, no less. It's all way over the top, which of course is the spirit of most Broadway shows.  And during these lean, mean days, it's wonderful to see such a gaudy visual blowout--a miracle of art direction and post-production mixing actual models and actors into a comic-book illustration. The magazine certainly had the whole thing set up, shot, and produced way back before the show became a Letterman joke, and I'm sure there are some Conde Nast bean counters tsk-tsking about the lack of editorial foresight, but there are always suits who do that, because that's what they do. Which makes me like it even more. Here are some of the pictures. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment